Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Red Velvet Cake



I used this recipe here. I adapted the frosting recipe a bit.

Ingredients:

  • 2.5 cups flour
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 1 tbsp. coca
  • 1 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 2 eggs
  • 1.5 cups oil
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 1 tbsp. white vinegar.
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • red food coloring*
*I used about a tablespoon of red gel food coloring. 
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350.
  2. Grease a 9.5 inch round pan.
  3. Mix dry ingredients in large bowl.
  4. In smaller bowl beat the eggs, then add the remaining wet ingredients.
  5. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. 
  6. Beat until combined.
  7. Pour into pan.
  8. Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick or knife comes out clean.
  9. Remove and allow to cool before frosting.
Frosting Ingredients:
  • 8 oz. cream cheese.
  • 3/4 cup butter
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 3.5 cups powdered sugar
Directions:
  1. Allow cream cheese and butter to reach room temperature.
  2. Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy.
  3. Add vanilla.
  4. Add sugar in batches.

Notes:
In the future I would make less frosting because I had a lot leftover. I would probably only make 3/4 of the above recipe. I would also add less sugar.
The cake was really moist. If you want you can decrease the amount of oil you add by a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment