I was fasting and felt like baking so of course I would bake a chocolate cake. I found the recipe here.
- 2 cups flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 sticks butter
- 4 tablespoons cocoa (don't be stingy, heaping spoonfuls!)
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup buttermilk (I didn't have any so I made a cup by putting 1 tablespoon lemon juice and added 1 cup of milk, cake turned out well!)
- 2 whole beaten eggs
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Pre-heat oven to 350F.
- Put some on water on the stove to boil.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, sugar and salt.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add cocoa and stir. So at this point I accidentally added the baking soda. the cake seemed okay, but you probably shouldn't add it here.
- Add boiling water. Allow mixture to boil for 30 seconds. Then turn off heat.
- Add to flour mixture and stir. Keep saucepan to use later for the frosting!
- In a small bowl, add eggs and beat. Add buttermilk, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir.
- Add buttermilk mixture into chocolate mixture.
- Pour into cake into a 18X13 sheet cake pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes!
Now on to the frosting! It takes just about 20 minutes, so you can pour it right on the cake as it comes out.
- I used 1/4 cup ground pecans.
- I really didn't feel like chopping pecans so I put it in the coffee grinder and ground them up. There were some big pieces.
- 10.5 tbsps. butter
- 3 tablespoons cocoa (don't be stingy!)
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- Grind pecans.
- melt butter in sauce pan, add cocoa and stir. Turn off heat.
- In bowl mix milk, vanilla, powdered sugar, and cocoa mixture. Stir.
- Pour over warm cake.