One of the best things to break your fast on is soup!
I adapted this recipes from here.
- 1 T olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 29 oz. can of black beans
- 2 cups of water with 2 tbsp. soy sauce (a substitution for the beef broth)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. dry oregano leaves
- 1 bay leaf.
So my soup turned out a bit salt (I like salty, so it worked out). In order to avoid saltiness you can rinse the beans very well and just overall cut down on the salt.
Also, this is more of a thick soup. :-)
- Warm up a pot on the stove. Once warm add the olive oil. Then add the carrots, onions, and garlic. Saute for 4-5 minutes.
- Throw in the black beans and beef broth. (I also added a bit of this chili pepper/tomato mix my mom made).
- Stir and add all the spices.
- Leave uncovered and simmer for 20-25 minutes. Add water if the mixture becomes thick. It is finished when carrots are tender.
- Let cool. Remove bay leaf and puree in blender.
Top the soup with cilantro, basil, cheese, sour cream and so on..
Anyone have any other soup recipes I should try out?